Sugar Chocolate Caramels
4 simple ingredients is all it takes to make this sugar chocolate caramel recipe. Mix correctly and you will be enjoying this recipe in no time at all.
- 2 cups sugar
- ¾ cup milk or cream
- 1 generous tablespoon butter
- 3 ounces of baker's chocolate
- Place on the fire and cook, stirring often, until a little of the mixture, when dropped in ice-water, will harden.
- Stir in ¼ of a cupful of sugar and 1 tablespoonful of vanilla, and pour into a well-buttered pan, having the mixture about ¾ of an inch deep.
- When nearly cold, mark it off in squares, and put in a cold place to harden.
- These caramels are sugary and brittle, and can be made in the hottest weather without trouble.
- If a deep granite-ware saucepan is used for the boiling, it will take nearly an hour to cook the mixture; but if with an iron frying-pan, twenty or thirty minutes will suffice.